<VV> Trans fluid (manual)

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:39:26 -0500

Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of NicolCS@aol.com
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 12:31 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org; flash@vicspdi.com
Subject: <VV> Trans fluid (manual)

Use of ATF in a Corvair transmission is a NO-NO in my book.  The trans would
probably be happy enough but since the transmission and the differential
*Share* fluids, I believe you would have a trashed differential in short
order.
ATF does not have the EP (extreme pressure) quality that differential gears
require.  My GMC motorhome has an automatic transmission bolted to the
differential.  When the seal that isolates the fluids fails and ATF enters
the diff, it's
all over.  It happens all the time.   Others may agree or disagree but this
is my take on the matter.
Craig Nicol
66 Monza 140 EFI, 65 Corsa 'vert 140 EFI, 67 Monza sedan 140-4