<VV> Re: Warren's X Bill Thomas car

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:54:01 EST

In a message dated 3/19/2004 2:39:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

>   Should I restore it to 1963 Bill Thomas Spec. or to 1969 Doug Roe specs?.
>
> I choose to restore it to the pictures in the March 1969 Hot Rod magazine.
>   It , I'm sure due to time constraints, was not restored correctly at the
> Monterey Classics in 1987.  It had the carb and turbo over the engine for
> example. And it didn't work!

Warren
  Looks like it'd be quite a challenge to return it to Bill Thomas
specs...more cutting and re welding of panels than most individuals would like to
tackle.  I don't have pics of it in it's Doug Roe dress but I assume it's not much
different from it's present shape.  BTW, for a car you claim spent 17 years
exposed to the eliments it's in remarkably great condition....looks more like it
came off the track yesterday.  Is it known whether Bill Thomas ever installed
his "Super Spyder" blow through turbo setup in this car?  The pics I've seen
only show this setup installed in a later EM engine compartment.  Anyhoo, it's
a great car, a real piece of Corvair history and I'm sure you'll do it proud
even IF you install a dual master cylinder <G>

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe
'64 900 Coupe...a distant relative of Bill's Super Spyder