<VV> Brake lock up

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 07:25:38 -0800

At 07:32 PM 3/19/2004 -0800, Jim Corey wrote:
>When I back up my '63 Vert, the brakes lock up.  Makes it tough to get
>it out of the garage!  I'll tear into it this weekend (I hope).  Any
>thoughts?
>Jim Corey

Hi Jim,
Sure!  The original flex lines can make things work strangely as well as
being dangerous as they can break without notice and on a single cylinder
master, are very dangerous.  For your issue, they balloon and either stop
fluid from reaching one wheel or stop it from coming back into the master
cylinder.  That can either make one wheel lock up before the others or not
let it release.  I highly recommend replacing all the the flex lines with
either new rubber flex lines or, even better, the teflon lines with
stainless steel braided outer covering.  Another thing that will lock up
brakes is to have the linings get soaked, even once, with brake
fluid.  Kevlar linings are said to be immune from getting ruined by brake
fluid.  I have not tried to prove that.

Larry