<VV> manual transmisison oil

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:20:37 -0500

We may be getting to it here, with "hypoid" perhaps being a key term. I know
Corvair transmissions are specified as requiring hypoid lube, but since
Corvair manual transmissions have a common sump with the differential, this
may be why.

Joe (straining my imagination, here) Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of NicolCS@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2004 12:01 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org; pottsf@msn.com
Subject: <VV> manual transmisison oil

I'll begin by stating that I am not a lubrication or driveline engineer,
just
an amateur tinkerer.  Having said that...  Many / most FWD differentials
have
spur gear final drives, similar to transmission gear designs, only larger.
Cars with North/South engines have to have a 90 degree turn in the
driveline,
so they use hypoid final drive gears.  In my understanding, the sliding
contact
of the hypoid gears is the reason for the EP (extreme pressure) requirement
in Corvair and other conventional differentials.
Craig (open to education here) Nicol