<VV> Good Day for Corvair Work

Henry Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:26:38 -0500

TLH
Thanks SOO much for chomping on Matt's lousy attempts at rhymin'
One thing for sure, his first name ain't Simon............

Yes, Saturday was a fair day for Corvair work in NC, but Chevrolet also
decided that Saturday Service is the best thing since sliced bread, so
though I was up and ready to go at 0530 I didn't leave work until around
1:30.   I decided that the EUM needed the engine compartment painted, and it
would be easier to do now before the engine is in.

If you thought scrap steel prices are up (and they are), go buy some paint
if you haven't purchased any in some time. All I wanted was a quart of cheap
black paint and a gallon of thinner (for prep and clean-up).
Of course it's Saturday, so my automotive paint store of choice was CLOSED.
The two stores that were open were closing at noon and 12:30. My local NAPA
was out of black paint in any size other than a gallon, and at 24.00 (a
special price for body shops) for a quart, I sure as HELL didn't want to
know what a gallon would cost. 7.00 for a gallon of thinner.......
Finally I found a NAPA store about 25 miles away that had a quart, and the
manager who was working was my old boss from NAPA in Stanley NC that lives
in Lincolnton. He offered to bring the paint to his house and I could pick
it up after work, which I did.

Over the river and through the woods (about 20 miles) to Eric's Shop,
and......
Removed tail-lamp lenses (have new ones from Clark's to install later) and
TL assemblies (cleaning these up at work this week.) took off the new Motor
Mount too and lowered the dummy. Also removed the ULTRA bits of wiring
Harness, the TL sockets were not original, and also not correct for Corvair,
obviously ULTRA, and the  Engine Perimeter seal---what was left of
it----Still had staples in it, so it was not ULTRA series, but GM original,
a mere 39 years old.
Prep with Scotchbrite pads, by hand and on angle die grinder, prepped and
sprayed.   Pictures to be sent to Ron Guy this evening.

The problem of fitting a dipstick tube into a van block for a car can be
done, but I have been searching for and just found yesterday the drill bit
needed to do the job. It has been holding me up for a week, nobody wanted to
sell just one, ended up borrowing one out of a set thanks to my Snap On man.

For those of you who are cringing at the thought of putting in a dipstick
tube in a Van Block, oh well....but there is good news.
I believe I have found a "Universal Replacement Block" in a scrap engine I
have. It has a dipstick tube, and the boss for the van fill tube/dipstick as
well. An interesting find.  Anyone interested??? Block looks OK, but has
lots of crud on it.
Off line responses please.......

The EUM will end up the best
In spite of the Chairman, a total pest
Don't care what he says, I'm doin' it right
If he don't like it, he knows he can BITE.....

Watch out Rick, you double sent your message to the Chairman, he's gonna
have a stroke!!!!

HANK