<VV> Change turbo engine to carbs

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:13:46 -0800

At 0726 03/22/2004 -0500, Paul wrote:
>I've got a good turbo engine (1964) that I want to use carbs instead of the
>turbo.  Has anyone done this?

Yes.   Twice.

>I've got 110 heads and turbo heads.  Would it run OK with the turbo heads and
>8:1 compression ratio?

Yes... although it depends on what you call "OK".   It would run much
better with the 110 heads.

>Will the carbs bolt up to the turbo heads?

Yes.   You'll need to add carb studs and you won't have chokes but the
carbs will work on the turbo heads.

>Could I
>just change to 110 heads?

Yes.   In fact, it will run considerably better with 110 heads.   And, you
will have chokes.

>I want to use the same pistons, connecting rods and
>cylinders. They look new.  How can I increase compression with the turbo
>heads?

Well... you could use domed pistons, which is about the only way to
increase compression with those heads... or throw the turbo heads in a
corner or recycle them (after removing the thermistor) and use 110 heads.
The 164 ci turbo heads are about as bad as you can get for street
driving... they're really a poor design and are junk compared to the other
heads Vairs found themselves wearing... such as the 95hp heads which work
very nicely on a turbo engine... and not bad on a regular gas burning
carb'ed engine for that matter.

>Is milling the only answer?

It's not an answer.  Milling late turbo heads to attempt an increase in
compression is like sprinkling cologne on a pig.   It will do very little
good at all.

>How much should they be milled?

They shouldn't be milled at all.   They should be replaced.   Don't even
bother with trying to increase CR of 164 ci turbo heads.   You'll do much
better across the board with either 95 or 110 heads.   Don't forget to use
a 110 distributor as well.

tony..