<VV> Valve covers

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:28:26 -0500

Stephen,
	Folks generally believe since aluminum is a better conductor of heat
than steel, and that there is more surface area, the aluminum valve covers,
oil pan and diff cover all do a better job of oil-to-air heat transfer.
They function fine and seal well.  You need to make sure you have clearance
(mufflers/headers) which normally isn't a problem.  The finned oil pan
hanging down will not be a problem for normal use.  You can add these
components at anytime.  The aluminum rocker covers are strong enough to pick
up the engine by the heads and holding on to them-the valve cover-even in
the taller version, so thhtat is not a concern either.  They are heavier
than steel.

Good Luck

Chuck S
YS73

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Upham [mailto:contactsmu@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 8:00 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Valve covers

I'm thinking about putting on the valve covers offered by Clarks which
are finned in order to increase the oil cooling capacity of the covers.
  Any experience with these covers and insights gained would be
appreciated.  ie. Do they significantly reduce oil operating
temperature, function well, ect.  Is this something that can be done
relatively easily with the engine in the car, or should I do it now
that I'm in the middle of an overhaul?  I would also like to install
the finned oil pan, but I understand that it will hang down another 1
1/2 inch below the car.  Is this a concern or not?

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas

Mid prod. # -1965 Monza sedan 110, Sierra Tan - Saddle, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, w/ 77K
Corvarium II