<VV> Alternator problem (long)

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:24:16 -0500

Hey Barry, I know this is a basic question BUT did you do use
your Corvair alternator front piece and fan pulley? If you didn't
use both of these you will have a problem in cooling the new alternator
and maybe fry the alternator and your battery.

Chuckster
////////////////////////////////////////
At 10:54 PM 3/24/04 -0500, you wrote:
>It was nice getting a "thumbs up" today, while driving my 65 Phantom Grey
>Corsa.  I've driven it 3 days now, and today was the first day I actually
>saw some cars older than 65 - couple of street rod trucks - no idea what
>they were.
>
>I have an overcharging problem I think, please verify, and offer recipe for
>corrective surgery.
>
>I got a hi-output alternator, w/internal regulator, and rewired my engine
>compartment for it.  (cut leads to old alternator, and rewire to alternator.
>Jump two inner, and two outer at old voltage reg)  Once I replaced the
>voltage regulator from FLAPS, I drove it a couple of days, w/no problems.
>Well, I shouldn't say no problems.  Occasionally, it didn't want to turn
>over, acting like a dead battery.
>
>When I tried to leave work today, battery was dead as a doornail.  Looked in
>engine compartment, one battery cap was off, and tell-tell (or tale-tale, or
>maybe tail-tail?) signs of battery acid sprayed over my nicely powdercoated
>engine shroud - grrrrr.  Battery looked a little low.  I pushed her off
>successfully.  About 15 mins later, the generator light came on.  I pulled
>over, and the belt was still on.  Afraid to shut it off, I drove the 20 mins
>on home, slowly.  At home, the battery was hissing, and the alternator was
>too hot to touch.
>
>Ouch!
>
>Removed the belt, and the alternator turns freely.
>
>Battery level was just up to the top of the plates.  Topped it off with
>distilled, about 6 oz in each.
>
>Pulled neg, battery shows 14 volts.
>
>Put neg back on, cranked engine, removed neg, engine continued running, but
>gen light was on, even after I put neg back on battery.  Revved it up, but
>gen light stayed glowing brightly, so it's not just rpms.
>
>Hummm, now I'm quite puzzled.
>
>All I have is a voltmeter.
>
>I don't get much from the shop manual.
>
>And all I know to do is take it back to FLAPS, have it checked out again,
>and replace the $12 part, that's under warranty.  However, why bother, if
>something is wrong.
>
>Offer any help, to an Indian Electrician ?  (two wire wire-em-up, three wire
>mess-em-up  - apologizes to the American Indians if any offended - just a
>phrase I was taught as a child)
>
>Thanks,
>Barry Ellison
>Leaving Thursday night for Florida, regardless.
>Engine's too new to push it hard anyhow.

Corvair Atlanta, BOD
CORSA MEMBER
CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman
http://carmerjr.home.mindspring.com/