<VV> blue dots

alan WESSON sidevalve@sidevalve.fsnet.co.uk
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:47:49 -0000

J R wrote:

> You have to drill the hole in the lens in order to install...

As far as I am aware you always have to do this. With cars where the tail
light lenses are rare and expensive it is obviously a no-no, but as Vair
ones are cheap and readily available, I would have thought it was practical
to have a set with them and a set without - I did this on my 47 Chev, in
large part because they are not really legal here, and so I thought I ought
to 'show willing' by carrying a legal set in the trunk in case I was stopped
by one of her majesty's law enforcement officers. In fact, the one time I
was stopped, the pea-brained oaf talked to me for about half an hour about
what a lovely car it was, and then breathalysed me (negative, because I
never drink and drive).

On my Lancia Appias I have stuck with regular tail lites because they are
$500 a set. I kid you not - $500. This is because Ferrari happened to choose
to use Lancia tail lites in the 50s, and so they also fit 50s Ferraris,
which makes them expensive. The front parking lites/turn signals, which
Ferrari also used, are a snip at $250 the pair...

So far I have had to buy two sets of each because I have three Appias.
Still, not as bad as buying rear wheel bearings for the 8-door...

Cheers

Alan

P.S. Reason for this evening's flippancy is because I have given up on
Freedom Wine and returned to Scottish Nectar, which is 3000 times better,
although rather stronger and a LOT more expensive. Actually, tonite's tipple
is Evan Williams, which does not come from Scotland but tastes nearly as
nice. Was brought to me by a tax director from Greensboro, NC...