<VV> Flywheel resurfacing

Harry Yarnell Harry Yarnell" <hyarnell1@earthlink.net
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:17:58 -0500

One way to tell if a corvair flywheel has loose rivets, is to drop it on
edge onto a concrete floor (from 1-2'), and if it rings, it's tight; if it
goes 'klunk', its loose.

Harry Yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
perryman, MD
hyarnell1@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: <vzd1s4am@verizon.net>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 8:20 AM
Subject: <VV> Flywheel resurfacing

> I have gotten a few messages about my question and I though I should
clarify what I am up to. I just puchased and began driving a cheap beater 62
(Thanks again Tim). This is more than likely a temporary car until I get my
Monza back on the So. Cal freeways with the turbo in my garage.

> Anyway, the clutch slips when warm and chatters when cold. And the cost of
a Dale flywheel and clutch set would be literally more than I have in the
vehicle.

> Also, this is an 80 hp w a 3 spd. so I am not worried about the abuse
factor as much as I will be with the turbo. I know the rivets give after
time and do have some minor concerns about that. It really comes down to the
that I am not sure about this car's future. Hillbilly doghouse or will I try
to put it back into near stock shape.So I don't wish to wrap too much into
this one yet.