<VV> Alternator Belt Question

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:15:08 -0600

My answers below:

> My brother has the car, 69 Monza Convertible, 110hp, 4-speed, up on the
lift
> checking everything out.  He said the alternator belt is loose to the
point
> that he can spin the alternator fan with his hands and he wanted to know
how to
> tighten it, whether the alternator moved or whether you have to adjust it
at
> the idler arm.

Adjust at idler pulley, but it sounds about right the way it is.  Might be
just a "tad" loose.  Tad is a technical term when use in this context,
meaning that it is pretty darn close to being correct.

> If I remember correctly, isn't the fan belt supposed to be so you can just
> move it with your hands?

You  remember correctly.

> So, how tight should the belt be?  Steps to adjust it or change it in case
> they have a problem on the 1000 mile drive down here?  THanks for the
advice.

Two nuts on rt side of pulley, one of them also adjusts the guard.

> By the way, even though my brother used to work on my dad's four Corvairs
in
> the 60's and 70's when my dad was alive, he didn't remember that the air
> pressure should be 10 lbs. different from front to back.  At least I
remembered to
> tell his that one, he already had them aired up!

On radials, I carry 24 front and 32 rear.  I also have about 50lbs of
"stuff" in the truck most of the time.

> Todd Miller

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110