<VV> Brake Q

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:46:16 EST

Hi Tim,
Warren's comment about the master cylinder perhaps being too small is right
on the money and something to consider.  If you are happy with the current
braking effort, it will be a little more difficult with a larger bore master
cylinder - don't size-up too much, you're close now.

But before you do that...

Do you have "hold-back" valves installed?  On your disc brake especially,
hold-backs will keep the pads close to the disc.  Without a holdback valve, the
discs will tend to push the pads back a bit so that some pedal is used-up just
getting the pads back in contact with the disc.  Also, make sure your drum
units are adjusted pretty well "on-the-money".  If they are a little loose, that
will consume some pedal too.  (We're assuming here that your mc pushrod is
adjusted to the proper length. There's another place to suck up some pedal
stroke.)  It may be a combination of a lot of little things.  Your brake hoses could
be an issue, but the items Warren and I mention are somewhat more likely.
Craig Nicol
65,66,67 140/4s