Fw: <VV> VV Re:H4 Hi/lo beam

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <corvair@fnader.com
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:04:49 -0500

>The only problem I can see in this is check your local laws, In my state it
>is illegal to run the 90w bulbs, although they don't seem to enforce it.

Actually, H-1's and H-4's aren't street legal anywhere in the US... but that's not enforced anywhere (that I am
aware of) but in some state safety inspections.

Given the brightness of the new HID's I would seriously doubt that headlamp brightness would ever be
enforced... but really the lenses of the H-1's and H-4's are focused so much tighter than US-spec lenses,
you don't need hi-wattage bulbs. I run a pair of H-1 Cibies in my Corsa with standard wattage bulbs and
even without a relay (or any more demand on the car's electrical system) the difference over standard US-
spec sealed beam halogens (themselves a HUGE leap over the standard bulbs) is absolutely amazing.

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD