<VV> Re: Transporting cars overseas (WARNING!!)

Robert Hill dodgeshelby@cafes.net
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:02:16 -0600

Doc,

Great advice and thanks.

Yes, I only accept electronic funds transfer when selling something of this
nature.  I refuse to accept a cashier's check for any amount over $100
regardless of the reason.  If the person has the money, an electronic funds
transfer isn't a problem for them - if it is a problem, I take it as a warning
to be careful doing business with them.

Thanks again

BOB
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RoboMan91324@aol.com
  To: virtualvairs@corvair.org ; dodgeshelby@cafes.net
  Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 3:22 PM
  Subject: Transporting cars overseas (WARNING!!)

  Hi Bob,

  I am very much behind in reading my email so you may have received responses
along these lines already but here goes.

  The deal you have may be legitimate.  However, there have been a number of
scams involving cars to be shipped overseas.  There are a number of variations
but generally, the "buyer" sends you a "certified check" for the sale amount
as well as what is needed for the shipping.  You are to forward the shipping
amount to a specified "shipper."  The shipper is the con man or an accomplice.
The certified check is theoretically drawn on a foreign bank but is an
official looking fake.  Your typical teller will look at the check and tell
you that the funds are available immediately because they think the certified
check is real and, in general, certified checks are considered as cleared
funds.  The hook is that they can't verify the validity of the fake check for
two to three weeks.  By then, your check to the con man has cleared
(especially if it is a real certified check) and the money is gone.  The bank
comes back to you and sticks you with the bad check.  In some cases, the car
is also gone along with your money.  I recommend that you accept only verified
electronic transfer of money from the buyer.  Any bank in Poland or elsewhere
can do this.

  If your sale is valid, great.  This will serve as a warning to other here on
the list.

  Good luck,
  Doc
  In a message dated 03/24/04 2:50:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,