<VV> Vendor 4-speed parts

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:10:16 -0500

I'm in the process of rebuilding a '66 - '69 4-speed transmission and have
run into a problem with the replacement parts.  I have the small parts kits
from two different Corvair vendors and have found that the "Thrust Washer"
-- part number #43 in the exploded view in the '66 shop manual -- is the
wrong thickness.  This is the thrust washer that fits on the main shaft
between the reverse gear and main bearing.  There's also a thin wavy washer
as well.

The original is 0.048" thick, the replacements are 0.078" thick, 0.030"
thicker.  This doesn't sound like much, but when I press the bearing on,
the extra thickness prevents it from going on far enough to allow the
retaining snap ring from being installed.  I've checked two original thrust
washers -- both are 0.048" -- and two replacements -- both are 0.078".

I assume all the Corvair parts vendors are buying kits from the same place
and this is what's being supplied.  Has anyone else run into this problem?

I can reuse the original reverse thrust washer since it doesn't seem like a
major wear item (unless you spend a lot of time in reverse), but it sure
would be nice to have the right parts.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, learning about 4-speed transmissions.