<VV> Re: corvair nightmare

Corvair66@aol.com Corvair66@aol.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:10:31 EDT

Rusty,
 If you are unsure if you wish to tackle the job yourself, just go find a
shop that works on older (air cooled) VWs. I am sure there are plently in the
Dallas area. They do this all the time as they also have aluminum heads. Probably
take them 20 minutes. It might be a good idea to loosen and pull up the fan
shrouding on that side so they can see better. VWs even (air cooled variety)
use the same spark plug many Corvair guys use, Bosch W8AC. Find a shop and talk
to them, take the car there, no need to pull the head.
 Dave Huntoon
 CNM
snipped............
After 5 months I got my 65 140 convt. Back from my mechanic.  Driving it
home it launched at sparkplug.  I limped on home and decided to email
this group. I don't want to take it back to the mechanic for another 5
months.  What do I do.  I put the plug back in but it just slides in and
out.  I have heard of heli coils but I am unsure of what they are and
how they work. Is it possible to fix this situation with out pulling the
head off.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.