<VV> (VV) early alternator conversion update <Arjay Morgan>

Arjay Morgan n3lkz@yahoo.com
Sun, 2 May 2004 17:57:22 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to all my fellow Varians for the input,
information and helpful answers to my query about
replacing my burned out generator with a one-wire
alternator, especially Bob Helt who gave me valuable
insight to the workings of the corvair electrical
system.

Fact is, the electrical hookup was simplicity itself,
mostly because a one-wire alternator (Delco Remy, 67
amps) isn't. It's advertised as such, but in reality
there are three (four if you count the case ground)
distinct terminals: the big lug that goes to the
battery, and two small terminals hidden beneath a
rubber plug.

The big lug is the output side which sends 13.8 volts
into the battery and the car once the alternator
reaches its self-exciting speed of 3,000 rpm. If the
fast-idle cam doesn't hit that target, a simple blip
of the throttle does.

The #1 terminal under the rubber plug is designed to
operate an idiot light.

In my hookup I simply ran a #10 wire from the output
lug to the topmost terminal on the old voltage
regulator, thus tying the (existing) battery wire and
the (existing) black wire that powers the car's
accessories and the output wire from the alternator
together.

Then I simply ran a light gauge wire from terminal #1
to the middle post of the regulator, thus hooking up
the idiot light.

the armature and field wires from the old generator
were simply taped off and folded back into the wire
loom, and without those connections the voltage
regulator is simply a set of binding posts.

I'm told that the #2 terminal is the 'sense' terminal,
but since it's an internally regulated alternator it's
already internally hardwired to the regulator circuit
so it's of no concern.

I fear I made the conversion look a lot harder than it
really was when I was asking for advice, but that's
how I learn.

Thanks again,
Arjay Morgan
CORSA