<VV> (VV) Flat Sixes on the Prairie PCCA (kinda long and rambling like this title)

John Miller jncmiller@mchsi.com
Sun, 2 May 2004 20:13:03 -0500

  My wife and I just got back from Springfield, Illinois. We attended the PCCA
May Car Show> Flat Sixes on the Prairie >Prairie Capital Corvair Association's
weekend affair.
  It rained....drizzeled....the wind blew and blew....it was cold....the sun
peeked out for a couple hours early this morning and then it rained and hailed
on us.....The Corvairs were cool, the people were super nice, the food was
great, the prizes were abundant. We would have to say all in all we had a
great weekend!
  At one point one member attending had a harmonic balancer go bad on the
road.....it was simply great to see how these Illinois' club members dug into
that motor compartment and got it back on the road in short order....did I
mention it was raining?
  We especially liked the Rally in the Hailstorm! A first for me and Chris!
Even better....we had a nice picnic lunch after the rally.....I am telling you
guys need to pay attention the next time these PCCA people put an event
together!! Well worth the drive!!!
   We headed back around 1 pm.....using my best rally skills  we werent able
to find our way back to the highway home (my compass was broke...I never ask
for directions....and heck did I mention it was RAINING!!!!) Around 3 pm we
got on the Berlin, Ill. road and started making headway.
   On a  bit sadder note, just outside a town (I think Pleasant Plain?) A
1994ish ford taurus rolled on a corner just ahead of us. This was sort of a 3
point roll and  ending on its wheels, facing the way it came. We pulled off on
the opposite side of the road  and I ran over to see if anyone was hurt. The
one occupant, driver, had tumbled out the drivers door. I didnt see any major
bleeding although she had several cuts head to toe. She seemed somewhat aware
of what happened but wasnt able to move much. I realized all I could do was
cover her to keep her warm, hold her hand. and keep her from moving till the
paramedics arrived as I feared she had some broken bones. She seemed to be
going limp and passing out ever so often which seemed an eternity till the
sirens arrived.
  Anyway the paramedics got her apparently stabilized and took her to
Springfield Memorial. Her name was Shawna McCoy...probably in her late 20's.
If anyone can find out if she is going to be ok that would be great to
know.(please say a prayer for her)
  It occured to me as we were pulling away in our Corvair...I wonder how many
people thought we had something to do with this rollover.....nah! it's the
Midwest and there are no Green Party members for hundreds of miles....!!!

                                   Thanks for listening, thanks PCCA
                                    John & Chris Miller
                                    Iowa