<VV> How careful should I be with the break-in?

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 4 May 2004 20:15:31 -0700

Finally, my 1961 Greenbrier is ready to hit the road again after 5 years.
The engine is a 164cu 110 stock with just under 100,000 miles after a
complete rebuild.  The cam gear got chewed up which is why I stopped driving
it.  I carefully removed the cylinder sets and put them aside without
separating the cylinders from the pistons.  The cylinders showed negligible
wear which I thought was remarkable (less than .001 out of round or taper)
given that I use it and don't baby it.  Just goes to show what regular oil
and filter changes can do.  I'm reusing the cylinders without reringing
since that was the consensus of several on VV.  The pistons are forged TRW
with moly rings.  The engine had good compression and didn't burn oil when
last driven.  I think the cam gear was chewed up by excessive crank endplay
which I failed to measure when I initially assembled the engine.  I think
the crank grinder got carried away and retouched the thrust surface or it
wasn't checked thoroughly by the grinder.  Don't know but the endplay was
over twice the maximum allowed.  Anyway, I replaced the crank, main
bearings, rod bearings,  cam, cam gear, lifters, oil pump, and a few rocker
arms.   Question......How long/miles before I can start driving it normally
since I'm not breaking in cylinders\rings?

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89
1963 Spyder, 4spd Saginaw, 3.55 (engine in the works)