<VV> head repairs

Mark J. Murphy Mark J. Murphy" <m.j.murphy@comcast.net
Wed, 5 May 2004 08:04:08 -0400

Thanks to all who replied to my search for a decent used 140 head.  I have
one in transit and hopefully should have her on the road again this weekend.
With that current emergency out of the way, I was thinking of fiddling with
the "bad" head to make a spare for when (I'd like to say "if", but...)
another seat drops in the future.  From what I can gather the accepted
method of fixing a head with a dropped seat is to weld in new alloy, machine
the rebuilt area back to factory specs and press in a new seat.  Is this
correct?  Has anyone tried machining the damage area out and pressing in an
alloy sleeve as a bushing around the seat with any success?  I was thinking
about this as I don't have access to a TIG set, my welding skills are poor
at best, and at this point I have more time than money.  Any opinions?
      ,-----___\----,    Mark Murphy
      \--(o)----(o)--'  Derry, NH, USA
    http://m.j.murphy.home.comcast.net/