<VV> Basic clutch questions

slmizel@juno.com slmizel@juno.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 14:39:20 GMT

My recently aquired 65 corsa had a few known problems when I purchased it (and a few unknown...purchased over the Internet) and I would like to gather some wisdom from the collective VV experience.  77,000 miles showing on odometer but not sure if that is accurate.  All stock and my guess is all original equipment (no rebuilds).  I am a rookie mechanic looking forward to getting my hands greasy.

1.  Throw-out bearing.  I was told that my throw out bearing was bad and would need to be replaced.  Symptoms: when the clutch is depressed no weird noises, but when I let the clutch out it rattles at idle and at low rpm's.  Clutch engages about halfway through the pedal stroke and works fine (no chatter, etc.).  At high running speed (well, I guess any running speed) I often get a loud "chirping" noise coming from the rear (I thought it was an obnoxious bird the first time I heard it).  Questions: Do you agree with the diagnosis of the throw out bearing?  Do you recommend putting in a new clutch/pressure plate at the same time?  Do you think the chirping is also related to the bearing or should I suspect wheel bearings or some other such thing.

2.  Mastercylinder bad...when at a stop light braking is good but the pedal slowly sinks to the floor...when reapplied good pressure.  I can either rebuild or purchase a dual master from one of the Vendors.  Is the dual worth the upgrade?  Will it make for increased/more reliable stopping power?

3.  Timing...I gave the car a tune up with Clark parts...set timing, car died.  Reset timing by ear...my timing light says I am running around 50 degrees advanced!  It runs well...is that possible?  (Remember I am a rookie and may be making a dumb mistake...though I do have the timing light hooked up to the #1 spark plug wire).

Thank you!
Steve Mizel
65 Corsa Vert 4sp
St. Louis, MO