<VV> Basic clutch questions

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 6 May 2004 12:08:02 -0400

Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupr 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of slmizel@juno.com
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 10:39 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Basic clutch questions

My recently aquired 65 corsa had a few known problems when I purchased it
(and a few unknown...purchased over the Internet) and I would like to gather
some wisdom from the collective VV experience.  77,000 miles showing on
odometer but not sure if that is accurate.  All stock and my guess is all
original equipment (no rebuilds).  I am a rookie mechanic looking forward to
getting my hands greasy.

1.  Throw-out bearing.  I was told that my throw out bearing was bad and
would need to be replaced.  Symptoms: when the clutch is depressed no weird
noises, but when I let the clutch out it rattles at idle and at low rpm's.
Clutch engages about halfway through the pedal stroke and works fine (no
chatter, etc.).  At high running speed (well, I guess any running speed) I
often get a loud "chirping" noise coming from the rear (I thought it was an
obnoxious bird the first time I heard it).  Questions: Do you agree with the
diagnosis of the throw out bearing?  Do you recommend putting in a new
clutch/pressure plate at the same time?  Do you think the chirping is also
related to the bearing or should I suspect wheel bearings or some other such
thing.

2.  Mastercylinder bad...when at a stop light braking is good but the pedal
slowly sinks to the floor...when reapplied good pressure.  I can either
rebuild or purchase a dual master from one of the Vendors.  Is the dual
worth the upgrade?  Will it make for increased/more reliable stopping power?

3.  Timing...I gave the car a tune up with Clark parts...set timing, car
died.  Reset timing by ear...my timing light says I am running around 50
degrees advanced!  It runs well...is that possible?  (Remember I am a rookie
and may be making a dumb mistake...though I do have the timing light hooked
up to the #1 spark plug wire).

Thank you!
Steve Mizel
65 Corsa Vert 4sp