<VV> Head VS Engine Removal

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 8 May 2004 13:17:20 -0400

I would strongly advise removing ONLY the head. The chances that you will be
able to ascertain and correct the problem doing only this are very good. If
subsequent investigation encourages removing the whole engine (a
possibility), having removed the head already does not in any way complicate
removing the engine. This information does not involve speculation on my
part; I've done all these jobs.
     In the circumstances, this gradualist approach is likely to pay off. I
also think you're well-advised to do all you can to diagnose your problem
while the engine is still assembled. There ARE tests to which you cannot
subject disassembled parts.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of ChiefTAM@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 12:35 PM
To: virtualvairs@skiblack.com
Subject: <VV> Head VS Engine Removal

Many of you have provided advise on what might be wrong with my 69 110
Convertible that developed a miss while it was being driven to my new home
in Texas
from Iowa.  The only thing I know as of yet is that one cylinder is 60 lbs
compression, while the other five are at 150 lbs.  I have finally gotten
back
from some business trips, and have some time, so I am ready to get started
on
determining the actual problem.  One thing that will help is that tomorrow I
am
picking up a borrowed air compressor to pressurize the cylinder and to run
my
air tools.

At the NTCA meeting I attended last week, I told the membership there that I
was going to have to pull off the offending head, and some members told me
they would rather go through the effort to pull the whole engine rather than
just
the head (driver's side) and then work on the engine with it out of the car.
Thus brings my questions.

What is the body of thought regarding removing the entire engine versus just
pulling the head while in the car?

What is the relative difficulty of doing either?

If removing the entire engine, where do you split it from the car or do you
bring engine, differential and tranny out in one piece?

Any other thoughts?  Please keep in mind that I am a relative novice, never
having pulled apart a Corvair engine, and that I am working on this alone.

Thanks for your advise.

Todd Miller
Dallas, TX