<VV> Dual Master comment (Disk Brake)

Charles Morgan charliemorgan@comcast.net
Mon, 10 May 2004 15:49:15 -0700

Doc, when most people talk about a "dual master cylinder" they're talking
about a MC with dual pistons operating in a common bore.  Since the pistons
are the same diameter, equal pressures are produced in each circuit and
there is no front/rear adjustment.  Brake drum/rotor size is just one of
the many factors that affect front/rear brake distribution.  Other factors
include tire size, wheel cylinder/caliper piston size, and tire/brake pad
friction characteristics.  Optimum braking occurs when both front and rear
wheels are just about to lockup.  However, if lockup occurs, it's
preferable that the front wheels lockup first.  Proportioning valves are
designed to keep the rear wheels from locking at high rates of
deceleration, but finding one properly sized for Corvairs is
difficult.  When changing any component that affects braking, the effect on
front/rear distribution should be taken into account.

Charlie Morgan
Beaver State Corvairs