<VV> Did it go from bad to worse?

ChiefTAM@aol.com ChiefTAM@aol.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 21:47:45 EDT

OK all you experts, here is where I am:

I have gone through all the basics.  Moving my car from Iowa to my new home
in Texas.  The car developed a miss about 700 miles out in Kansas, not after a
fueling, while running,  (69 Monza Convertible, 110hp, 4-speed, just under
50,000 miles).  They drive it another 100 miles or so and park for the night.  I
get a trailer and go up and get it, don't notice any smoke or miss when I
start it up, but notice a bit of an off miss when I idle it after I drive it
around the block to the garage.  Run a compression check, 150-160 in five
cylinders, #4 is at 60lbs.

Tonight, after borrowing an air compressor, I put a fitting in #4 and hook it
up to the tank.  Air comes RUSHING out of the carburator.  I thought that the
cylinder was at TDC, but when I wiggled the rockers, one was a little tighter
than the other.  SO, I proceeded to loosen both of the rocker arm nuts, so
that both springs had no pressure on them and should be at the top, with valves
closed.  (right?)

I put it back on the compressor tank, heard no air from the exhaust system,
no air from the carburator now, but when I take off the oil filler cap, I hear
air coming from that.

SO, what does that mean.  I assume from previous posts that air from the
carburator is a dropped valve seat, and that air from the exhaust is a burnt
valve.  Is that right?  So, air from the oil filler means what?  Hole in piston or
broken piston rings?  Could it be anything else?  Head gasket?

What say you experts?  Am I really up the creek now?

I guess it is time to take the head off now.....

Todd Miller
Dallas