<VV> excessive play in front end

Blaine Sanders blaines@infowest.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 21:16:14 -0600

I've been away for a few years, and now that I am daily-driving a Corvair
again (this time a '63 Spyder!), I'll probably pop in from time to time with
more questions -- like this:

Everything in the front suspension was completely rebuilt by the P.O. with
the exception of the steering box.  The steering box seems to have a LOT of
play in it (I can turn the steering wheel at least a 1/4 turn each direction
before I get any corresponding movement in the tires).  Is there anyway to
tighten up (adjust) the steering box, or do I just have to rebuild/replace
it?

I double checked everyother component of the steering system, and everything
else is new & tight.

Sorry I had to ask this kind of question -- I can't get to my shop manuals
right now.

Thanks!

Blaine