<VV> excessive play in front end

jryall@juno.com jryall@juno.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 06:39:57 -0400

There is a plastic plug in the trunk over the steering box adjustment
screw.  Pry out the plug.  I use a deep socket, seem to recall that it's
1/2 inch.  Loosen the jam nut with the socket, then remove the wrench
from the socket.  With the socket still on the jam nut to prevent
rotation, insert a flat bladed screw driver through the socket and
tighten the screw.  It is easier to have someone in the car turning the
wheel reporting on 'tightness' while you do this.  Once the slack is
removed, tighten the nut by hand while still holding the screw driver to
prevent over tightening.  Once the nut is run down to position, remove
the screw driver and use a wrench to complete tightening the lock nut.
If you can't adjust the box sufficiently to remove the slack, it will
need rebuild/replacement.

John Ryall

On Tue, 11 May 2004 21:16:14 -0600 "Blaine Sanders"
<blaines@infowest.com> writes:
snip
Is there anyway to tighten up (adjust) the steering box, or do I just
have to
> rebuild/replace it?
>

> Blaine

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!