<VV> Re: excessive play in front end

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 10:32:40 -0400 (EDT)

The Shop Manual says explicitly not to do this.  It says to adjust play via the big nut on the forward end of the steering box first, then work with the top-side adjuster.  The price of doing just the top adjuster is accelerated wear.

Before starting, a fish scale is a wise and small investment for accurately measuring steering effort.  See the 1963 Shop Manual for the updated procedure.

No flames intended; just passing along what I've read.

Michael SmithDallas

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;There is a plastic plug in the trunk over the steering box adjustmentscrew. Pry out the plug. I use a deep socket, seem to recall that it's1/2 inch. Loosen the jam nut with the socket, then remove the wrenchfrom the socket. With the socket still on the jam nut to preventrotation, insert a flat bladed screw driver through the socket andtighten the screw. It is easier to have someone in the car turning thewheel reporting on 'tightness' while you do this. Once the slack isremoved, tighten the nut by hand while still holding the screw driver toprevent over tightening. Once the nut is run down to position, removethe screw driver and use a wrench to complete tightening the lock nut. If you can't adjust the box sufficiently to remove the slack, it willneed rebuild/replacement.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com