<VV> Closed Drivelines

YENBAT@aol.com YENBAT@aol.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:05:43 EDT

In a message dated 5/12/04 12:27:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
del.patten@kirtland.af.mil writes:
One of the guys in the office has a 41 chevy with the enclosed
driveline...he was driving along and he heard a clunk and the car
stopped...we can't find anyone old enough to know but young enough to still
remember the inner workings of one of these...he says it is working to the
pumpkin but it isn't getting to the wheels.  Can anyone help...off line of
course!!  Thanks!!

  Del Patten...CNM
Del,

the diff of a torque tube drive is the same as a hotchkiss (open) drive.

Take the cover off the diff and see what broke.

There is only one u joint in this system. at the tranny end inside the
"torque ball"

If the shaft is turning into the diff the problem is there...  If not look
forward.

It's actually quite simple.

How do I know this...  I owned a 54 Chevy pickup from 1973 until 2001.

Last year for chevy to use enclosed drives

Tim Abney

Proud Member of
International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 501
Life Member McHenry County Illinois VietNow
Member American Legion Post #777 - San Bernardino, CA
Member Society of the First Infantry Division (Big Red One)
KLIK - Lai Khe, RVN - 1967-68
Corsa Member
I.E.C.C. President
1965 Corvair Monza Coupe - Valley Vairs Cover Car January 2003 - 2nd Edition
1964 Corvair Monza 4 Door - Back burner project
1961 Corvair Lakewood Wagon - Starting restoration
1962 Corvair 700 4 Door - Very Solid - Gone to a good home

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of iuoe%20logo.jpg]