<VV> RE: Engine miss with rapid tach movement

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 14:23:19 -0700

As I said in an earlier post ... tachs don't have anything at all to do
with the engine or how it is or is not running.  They pick up electrical
information from the coil (or elsewhere).  With the right electrical signal
a tach can read anything.  It is not a mechanical device and has no idea
what rpm the engine is really running.

At 05:06 AM 5/12/04, VairMech@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 5/12/2004 12:32:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca writes:
>It sounds to me like the kind of miss you get from extremely worn
>valveguides letting the valves walk around in the valveseats.
> >>>>>>>>>
>     Yes, but that usually doesn't affect the tach that way. With the tach
>jumping is is an electrical problem. I could pull off 2 plug wires for a
>second
>and you might not see the tach move much but you would hear the engine miss.
>     Ken Hand

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)
(720) 339-4765          Cell

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html