<VV> Need Engine rebuilding advice for a '65 Corsa

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 08:10:02 -0400

 A fellow member of Colonial Corvairs, Jack Loundin (sp) lives in
Burlington MA.  Nobody in this area knows Corvair engines better than
Jack. Drive up, drop off!  He does water pumper race engines as well, so
he's fairly busy this time of year.  Contact me off VV and I'll send you
his #.

JED

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of Macdonald David
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 2:18 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Need Engine rebuilding advice for a '65 Corsa

I have a 1965 Corsa 4 speed, 4 carb Corvair, built and sold in Canada,
currently in in Acton, MA.

This car has not been driven since 1972 when it was taken off the road
and the engine torn down to be rebuilt. New parts were purchased brand
new and are still in GM boxes included new piston and sleeve assemblies
and a new camshaft. The car had about 100,000 miles when it was taken
off the road.

The car was purchased one year old, in 1966 by my Uncle who drove it
till 1972 when he did the tear down. After the engine was rebuilt the
car was intended for my cousin who was unfortunately killed in a car
accident. The car sat for decades till my uncle called me and told me to
come get it if I want. He knew the car was a favorite of mine.

I have found Clark's corvair and ordered a a parts manual, factory
service manual and an assembly manual and have joined Corsa.

I need some advice on rebuilding the engine. I'm comfortable that the
documents I have will let me reassemble the engine. If I can find all
the bolts as I'm sure some are missing after 30 years of storage.
What's the best resource for me to use as I reassemble the engine?

I like some advice on the heads. Since the whole thing is apart, it
makes sense to me that I should have the heads rebuilt. Perhaps new
valves and guides. Is there a decent machine shop in the New England
area that knows Corvair heads?

All advice and pointers welcome.

Thanks

David Macdonald