<VV> RE: Engine miss with rapid tach movement

jryall@juno.com jryall@juno.com
Wed, 12 May 2004 08:22:23 -0400

If the tach rpm drops, the points wire on the (-) side of the coil might
be broken, and vibration causes it to open. Also, there is a  possibly
that the tach wire is shorting out intermittently.  This would also
ground the points side of the ign. and cause a stumble.  If the tach
indication is an increase, I wonder if the coil is arcing over to the
points side of the coil, with the high voltage spike affecting the tach
reading.  Of course, arcing would also cause a stumble.

John Ryall

> In a message dated 5/12/2004 12:24:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> dsjkling@sbcglobal.net writes:
> The miss is intermittant and it occurs at random.  Sometimes
> it is barely noticable and all but goes away.  It is accompanied by
> the tach
> needle moving, sometimes as much as 400-600 rpm but the engine
> itself isn't
> changing speed that rapidly.  It doesn't seem like this would be on
> the
> output side of the coil but since I already tried the cap and rotor,
> I may
> try plugs and plug wires.  If that doesn't fix it, then maybe the
> distributer itself is not as good as I think it is.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!