<VV> Unsolicited endorsement YOU DO NOT have to race

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 00:28:51 +0000

Just my $.02.  Listen up you non-racers!  I'm here to tell you you can have
an absolute BLAST at the NECC events even if you just have a plain stock
car, and can't drive very well either.  I wish I could attend every one of
the NECC events, but unfortunately schedule conflicts and cash shortage
forces me to restrain myself somewhat.  I have taken advantage of several
however, and invariably have more fun than I can describe.  My "race car" is
a BONE STOCK 1962 Monza, 102 HP with POWERGLIDE.  80-series street tires
(whitewall no less).  Swing-axles with no anti-roll bar or cross-spring -
yesiree, the very recipe Ralph said would lead to certain doom!  I'm
definitely not the fastest car on the track, but I know I have the most fun!
  Most of the time I even win my class because I'm the only one in the slow
old guys class!
I believe that driving on the track in time trials is safer than the drive
TO the track on our public highways.  The track is well-maintained, activity
is controlled, safety equipment and personnel is right there in case
anything did happen, and people are well-behaved.  No deer running out in
the middle of the night; no folks running stop signs; no one attempting to
rear-end me as they talk on the cell phone; get to look at the road rather
than behind bushes for the local gendarmes, etc.,etc.  The people are great,
everyone tries to help each other, and the real racers welcome us novices.
Just like one big happy family!  And it gives you an opportunity to explore
the limits of your car and skills in a safe, controlled environment, with
lots of runoff space in case you take it off road.  Much better than
learning the limits of adhesion as you try to avoid a lunatic on the public
roads!

If you haven't tried it yet, do it now!

PS, my wife can tell you my answer when she asks what I want for my
birthday/Christmas etc.... a day at the next NECC event!

-- Doug Mackintosh
   Corsa member since 1996
   Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
   Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on