<VV> 67 transmission & engine question

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 02:19:47 EDT

Hi John, welcome to the list.  Sounds like a great car and project.  A fuel
cell on a 110-3?  That car must have some history!

A couple of things:
The engine from a '65 will fit directly into your '67 without modification.

The transmission, if it is a '66 (6 bolts hold it to diff rather than 4),
will fit directly into your car too.  If it is a '65 transaxle, (four bolts
between the diff and trans) there are some minor differences that are easily
overcome and it will require a specific front support bracket.

The differential you select must be the correct one for your transmission (4
bolt or six bolt). It's possible to cross these, but you shouldn't have to
cross that bridge if you have two complete transaxles.  Also, '65 differentials
had smaller u-joint strap bolts.  You can use either type in your '67 and you
will have a pair of each type to choose from.  The '65 diff has a dipstick
which you can use or plug, your choice.

All Corvairs were manufactured with 12 volt electrical systems. Yours is not
a conversion.

Why don't you just put the 4-speed into the '67 and build your killer 140 out
of the 140 you just bought?  It should have the "top-o-the-line" nitrided
crank, large oil cooler, stronger clutch, and of course the right heads.  A great
beginning for a performance motor.

Again, Welcome!
Craig Nicol
65,65,66,67  all 140/4 plus a spare in the barn!

<snip>
I just bought a 67 corvair convertable <110-3>
 I've found an engine and trans set from a  65 corvair.  (actually the engine
is from a 65 and the trans I believe was origionally in a 66)  The engine
will most likely need rebuilding, but the trans is ready to go.  I figured I'd
drop the new engine and trans in then wait until I get the parts to do the
conversion.  I've done some research but I'm getting conflicting reports.  On one
website it says that this is fine as long as it's a 65 or higher.  On another it
 said it had to be a 66 or higher.  Can some one please clarify which is
true.
Also the previous owner converted the electrical to 12 volt.  It looks
OK but I was wondering what were the caveats.
JOHN <unsnip>