<VV> Grant adapter kits

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 02:15:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/12/2004 10:52:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Larry@Forman.net writes:
Seth,
Anyone know the number for a Grant adapter for 65s?  I was not able to find
the number on the Grant site and don't have a catalog.  I need one for my
son's car (65 Monza convert. I got for $200 without engine, but was given a
good engine).  Now with new brakes and tires, I am into it for closer to
$1,000, but it runs great.  I have this Grant steering wheel that I son has
dibbs on and really wants in his car.  Any help with a Grant adapter for a
65 will be appreciated.  Either one for sale or the Grant number so I can
get one, assuming they still make that number.

Thanks in advance, Larry

I tried to avoid this one before, Larry, (Jim's letter) but I can't duck
twice. A number of years ago, the tooling (broach) that Grant uses to manufacture
the spline in the 64-66 Corvair adapter was worn out. That spline is unique to
the 64-66 Corvair - nothing else uses it (Thanks, GM!) Grant was going to
discontinue the adapter for that application. The early 60-63 and the late 67-69
use adapters that are common to other GM cars. Clark's Corvair Parts stepped
up and purchased new tooling for the 64-66 adapter and supplied it to Grant. I
suppose, (I have no direct knowlege), that Clarks asked for and got an
exclusive on that part number. It is only right, they paid for it. So new adapters
are available from Clarks Corvair Parts. There are almost always some available
at the Corvair Swap meets, like Palm Springs, etc. Someone may reply to your
note with one for sale as well. There are lots of them around. I just went
through this with Grant on my new removable wheel adapters for racing
applications.  I paid for the special tooling to make the splined adapter that fits onto
the 64-66  steering shaft. The standard Grant steering adapters are aluminum.
My application is steel, so new tooling was necessary. I'll probably recoup
that money in 5 years or so! But the part is now available.  - Seth Emerson