<VV> 67 transmission & engine - Replies

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 01:53:48 EDT

Comments inserted!I

n a message dated 5/12/2004 9:45:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jsconiers@mac.com writes:
Also the previous owner converted the electrical to 12 volt.  It looks
OK but I was wondering what were the caveats.

JOHN

All Corvairs built were 12 Volt systems. Some had Generators, some
alternators (like yours) but all were 12 volt.

On May 12, 2004, at 10:01 PM, John Sconiers wrote:

> All,
>
> I just bought a 67 corvair convertable.  The car is in decent
> condition.  It needs tie rods, carpet, boot, fuel cell, locks, and
> various other small items.  I plan on getting started immediately.  I
> was so hyped on the good condition and just getting the car I ignored
> the fact it had a 3 speed manual and a 110 engine.
Why not drive it around with the 110/ 3-sp while you fix the small stuff and
rebuild the extra powertrain?

  I've checked
> around for a 140 engine (I'd like to go 140 with the 3 barrel weber
> cams) and a 4 speed manual.  I've found an engine and trans set from a
> 65 corvair.  (actually the engine is from a 65 and the trans I believe
> was origionally in a 66)
If it is a 66 or later 4-speed it will exactly replace your 67 3-speed. In
fact it is hard to tell them apart when removed! If it is a 65 4-speed, there
are a dozen or so things that are different from your 67 3-speed. Possible but
not a snap!

The engine will most likely need rebuilding,
> but the trans is ready to go.  I figured I'd drop the new engine and
> trans in then wait until I get the parts to do the conversion.  I've
> done some research but I'm getting conflicting reports.  On one
> website it says that this is fine as long as it's a 65 or higher.  On
> another it said it had to be a 66 or higher.  Can some one please
> clarify which is true.
The 1966 and up 4-speeds are based on a Saginaw, MI, GM plant sourced 4-speed
that was used in many other GM models. (That is why they were referred to as
a "Saginaw" trans.) (But modified heavily for Corvair use.) The 64-65 4-speed
was unique to the Corvair and not shared.

Also, since I'll be touching the suspension
> any help on that and modifications would be great.

Lower - Stiffen - Align  (That about covers it! <grin>)  - Seth Emerson