<VV> RE: Man, do I feel stupid! was RE: Engine miss with rapid tach movement

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 13 May 2004 21:12:26 -0700

Well, I still feel stupid but I did sorta figure it out.  I know it was
related to the primary side of the ignition because I put in an electronic
ignition unit and the problem went away.  I know that the distributer runout
is minimal.  The point plate is a Dale unit with no play and I double
checked the grounding wire.  The cam lobes are smooth.  I tried two
different brand point sets, different point wire etc.  I thought for a
moment that an oblong hole in the vacuum advance unit was causing it but
after eliminating that the problem still existed.  I tried different point
gaps, some more, some less than .019 inch.

Anyway, the problem is solved but I'm still not quite sure exactly which
part was causing the problem.  Thanks to everyone for your help. The van is
on the road after 5 years.  It is so much fun to drive, I'd forgotten.  Off
to Lake Shasta in two weeks for a little camping, fishing, relaxing with the
old Greenbrier!!!

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89
1963 Spyder, 4spd Saginaw, 3.55