<VV> Don't buy gas on May 19th, 2004

SPYDER62@aol.com SPYDER62@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 10:04:56 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/2004 3:02:14 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
corvairguy2@yahoo.com writes:
There is a better way. Don't buy gas from a couple of
the big companies. Like Mobile etc. I mean do not buy
there gas at all. never.
Or maybe write your Congressman. This is what my Congresswoman is going.
 Vair content the new Turbo only gets 15 to 18 mpg Ouch
Rich
www.shepswoodncrafts.com
68 Datsun roadster
8 Corvairs
68 Ultra Van
61 econoline PU
87 Shelby GLHS
 Blue Squadron group red

Dear Friend:

As we approach Memorial Day, many families across Oregon are preparing to go
on vacations to the coast or the mountains to enjoy some time together.

Unfortunately, average gas prices in Oregon have risen to $2.21 a gallon,
among the highest in the nation. And these high gas prices don't just affect
vacationers and commuters, but all aspects of our economy. Agriculture is an
energy intensive industry, and record prices like these can hurt area farmers and
raise prices on groceries. High gas prices also increase the costs of shipping
goods and services.

There are concerns that oil companies may have engaged in price manipulation
on the West Coast by using the exportation of domestic oil as a tool to lower
supply and artificially raise prices. The Alaskan North Slope was initially
opened at taxpayer expense to lessen U.S. dependence on foreign oil. Now that
the export ban has been allowed to expire, companies are turning around and
selling that very same oil to foreign countries.

ConocoPhillips recently sold 800,000 barrels of Alaskan North Slope oil to a
Chinese petroleum company. With the current shortage of crude oil on the West
Coast, this sale is unacceptable.

I've called for congressional hearings to look at how the export of domestic
oil is affecting American oil prices. I am also working to reinstitute the
export ban on North Slope oil that was in place until 1995 to ensure that any oil
from Alaska's North Slope stays in the U.S. My legislation (H.R. 1797) would
help preclude oil companies from conspiring to control the market.

Price gouging is unacceptable. I'll continue to fight for affordable gas
prices for Oregonians.

To keep updated on my actions on this and other areas of concern, please
visit my website at http://www.house.gov/hooley and subscribe to my e-mail
newsletter, or call my Salem office toll free at 1-888-4HOOLEY to receive future
e-mail updates. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Darlene Hooley
Member of Congress
Oregon's Fifth District

Please feel free to forward this to other residents