<VV> 69 Monza Low Compression Miss - The Rest of the Story!

ChiefTAM@aol.com ChiefTAM@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 20:44:05 EDT

Ok ya'all, many of those who helped me to try and diagnose the problem in my
69 Monza, and there were many of you, had asked me to let you know what I
found.  So, here goes:

First, a recap.  I moved from Minnesota to Texas about six months ago, and my
brother brought two of my Corvairs down from their winter storage when they
came down for the NASCAR race at TMS the first of April.  The trailered my 65
Corsa Turbo Vert. and drove my 69 Monza Convertible.  The car is 3388, LeMans
blue, 110hp, 4-speed with just under 50,000 miles.  They left Northern Iowa and
headed south.  In southern Kansas, while driving, the car developed a miss.
They drove another 100 miles and stopped in Oklahoma for the night.  I went up
the next day to pick up the car with a rented trailer.  I couldn't find much
of a miss in the cold engine, and didn't notice any smoke.  They noted that
one of the cylinders just seemed a little off.  They thought it was #6.  Several
weeks ago, I bought a compression tester and ran a compression check.  All
cylinders were 150 to 160 except #4, which came in at 60 lbs.  I later sprayed
some oil in #4 and the compression went up to 90 lbs.  I borrowed a compressor
and pressurized #4 cylinder.  At first, I heard air out the carburetor, but
after I loosened the rocker arms, I could only hear air out of the oil filler.
Obviously, we had a problem, and you all agreed it had to come apart. Most of
the early guesses centered around a valve seat that was thinking about coming
out, or perhaps an old fashioned burnt valve.  After the pressurizing test,
many thought it was a holed piston.

Today, with the help of Carl Coulter of the NTCA (many thanks) we pulled the
engine apart. (I know you all say the Corvair engine is easy to work on, and
it may be in itself, but, man do you have to spend a lot of time taking off
shrouds!  Seems easier to tear apart a 60's small block!)

The head checked out OK, the seats are all in, and the valve are sealing all
the way around on #4.  A little carbon buildup, but not bad, and only a little
wear in the valve guides.  We did have 3 studs pull out, all on the exhaust
side of the cylinders.  I couldn't get to two of them with vice grips, and one
just pulled out anyway.  On the positive side, no aluminum threads came out
with them, so I think we can just screw them back in after we get the nuts off
and clean up the threads.  So much for having Acorn nuts and using PB Blaster!

After putting some copper pipe over the studs to hold the other two cylinders
on, we pulled off #4.  There, we found the TOP TWO rings broken in two.
There was some scoring on the inside of the cylinder.  There was also three small
gouges, about 1/4" wide in the top side of the piston, but not all the way
through the top side of the piston down to the top ring groove.  After taking off
the blower housing, we took out the #4 piston and rod.  We found a little
scoring on the crank bearing, with one small, maybe .002 groove in the bearing.
This all appears to be the some total of the damage.

Our plans are to tomorrow to polish the crank journal with some emery paper,
and then to mic the journal to see what size it is.  We will then send the
offending parts off to one of our wonderful Corvair vendors, and probably get a
new cylinder with a piston and rings attached to a connecting rod, and new
bearings, and put it back together.  I can't find any marks on the piston or the
bearings, so I believe that the piston is standard.

So...some questions.

1.  What would cause TWO rings to break?

2.  What would cause the small gouges on the top/side of the piston?

3.  Any thoughts on our plan to repair the engine?

Again, thanks very much to everyone on this web ring who are willing to help
those of us who are less experienced.  This is what is keeping our Corvairs
running and popular!

Todd Miller
Corvair Minnesota and now NTCA too
Dallas, TX