<VV> Re: More MPG

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 16 May 2004 17:15:32 -0500

Hi Frank,

I DID understand the point you were making.  I indeed practice those
techniques myself - though not all the time.  Around here, (when in traffic)
if you let more than a car length develop in front of you, someone will fill
it up (and most frequently without bothering to signal the lane change) and
after a few do that, you end up being the first guy who has to stop for the
red light.  The purpose is now defeated.

I DO get a kick out of watching the guy who always races to the next red
light.  I guess he just wants to be there first.  Then I go by as the light
changes and he beats me to the next one again... and I go by again.

 I was just trying to say - really in response to a post of Bob Marlow a few
days back, that longevity of brake lining is not in and of itself an indicator
of someone who is gentle on gas usage.  There are other ways to make brakes
last longer.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: FrankCB@aol.com
  To: hmlinc@sbcglobal.net ; virtualvairs@corvair.org
  Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 1:34 PM
  Subject: More MPG Re: Mileage - was Don't buy LITTLE CORVAIR

  JR,
      I guess I didn't make my point clearly.  What I practice is easing off
the gas pedal to slow down well before I have to stop and NOT downshifting,
which I agree, would probably use more gas than it would save besides placing
undue wear on the clutch and trans synchronizers.
      Gentle starts do NOT particularly save on gas compared to BRISK starts,
provided that your BRISK start doesn't open the power valve in the carb(s).
The sooner you get into high gear the better for your mileage.
      With modern fuel injected cars, lifting off the gas pedal at speeds
above 35 mph generally causes the fuel injectors to completely shut off, so
while the car slows down to 35, you are getting infinite gas mileage.  When I
do that, the instantaneous digital mileage meter on my Beretta goes to 99.9
mpg since it doesn't have an "infinity" symbol.  While the Corvair won't go to
such extremes, it certainly will get much better mileage than by racing up to
the stoplight and jamming on the brakes.  Many years ago when I lived in the
center of NYC (called Manhattan Island) I could drive for many blocks
southbound on 2nd Avenue IF I could keep my speed at 28 mph since the traffic
lights were synchronized to consecutively turn green in front of you IF you
kept that speed.  If you went faster OR slower, you got stopped by the next
light.
      So the secret is to anticipate traffic conditions far enough ahead so
you can reduce your speed mostly by lifting off the gas pedal and only using
the brakes at the end, if necessary.  Of course you can't do this if you
tailgate the cars in front of you.
      Frank "frugal" Burkhard

  In a message dated 5/15/04 1:42:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,