<VV> Clutch Problem with 4 Speed Conversion

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 16 May 2004 20:08:12 -0700

	Charles,

	Actually, the pedal extension was what I should have done first.
Ask anyone with an manual FC, the whole problem is that even when the clutch
was new on the FC's, it was a very critical adjustment.  A turn of the
clevis on the clutch rod one way or the other was enough to wear out the
throwout bearing or cause hard shifting.  Mine was actually so sensitive
that hot and cold weather affected it!!  I got sick of it and lengthened the
pedal.  If you have a welder, it is an easy job.  One bolt and the pedal can
be removed and all the work done at the welding table or you can take it to
have it done.  My pedal is only slightly higher than the other one.  Some
people can get by for a while with flipping the bumper but most systems have
too much wear to make that work anymore.

	As to the shifter, I can't help you there because mine in a 1961 and
has different linkage (doesn't go through the gas tank and not mounted on
the floor).  If you wanted to get close to original, you should invest in an
factory assembly manual that will show you how GM laid everything or find
someone in the club that will let you look at theirs.  Good luck.

	Dan Kling
	1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89
	1963 Spyder 4spd Saginaw, 3.55 (engine in the works)

>From: "* Greenbrier Goon *" <greenbriergoon@hotmail.com>
>To: corvanatics@corvair.org, virtualvairs@skiblack.com
>Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:51:27 +0000
>Subject: <VV> Clutch Problems with 4 Speed Conversion part II
>
>Hey everyone:
>
>Well, I have been trying to solve the problem of the clutch not completely
>releasing when I step on the pedal.
>
>I flipped the stop on the pedal as someone suggested.  Then I adjusted the
>calbe as tight as it would go.  I could then start the engine and shift
into
>all of the gears.  I drove up and down the street to make sure all 4 gears
>worked.
>
>The problem is that the throwout bearing is riding on the pressure plate.
>Stepping on the clutch pedal just does not pull the cable enough to fully
>release the clutch AND leave any room between the T/O bearing and the
>pressure plate when it is engaged.

>Someone suggested making the pedal longer, but that seems like a last thing

>to try.
>
>Another problem that I discovered is that the floor is flexing as I shift.

>It is a floor mounted shifter and there is supposed to be some extra
>reinforcement on the floors of the 3 and 4 speed vans.  The FC that I
>removed most of the parts from to do the conversion has alresdy been cut up

>and discarded so it looks like I will have to make my own floor
>reinforcement.
>
>This conversion from PG to 4 speed is really getting to be a pain.
>
>PLEASE MAKE SURE TO CLICK "REPLY ALL" BECAUSE I DON'T SEEM TO BE GETTING
ALL