<VV> Clutch Problem with 4 Speed Conversion

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 15 May 2004 21:48:45 -0700

Hi Charles,

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaged completely which is a common
problem on the FC's.  There is just not much throw in the way the linkage
was designed and if there is any wear if makes it worse.  One thing you can
do to give you a little more movement in the pedal is to flip the
rectangular bumper over the cushions the pedal when it is in the up
position.  This requires removing the pedal which is easy to do.  At one
time, I tried modifying the connection back where the cable attaches to the
cluth fork.  I set it up as a lever action so that the clutch fork moved
farther than the cable did.  What this caused was a stiffer clutch and
accelerated wear on the clutch cable due to the increased load.  Finally,
what I did which solved the problem completely was to extend the pedal shaft
by about 1 inch.  There is enough room in the travel that it doesn't put the
cable in bind to do this.  I got a piece of round stock the same diameter as
the pedal shaft, cut the pedal pad off and welded the extension into place
and reattached the pad.  After smoothing and painting, you couldn't tell
except that the pedal was a little higher from the floor.  Now the clutch
releases completely.  Anyway, wear is your enemy.  If there is any wear in
the linkage, it is all but impossible to get the clutch to release when
pushed in and the throwout bearing not to touch when the pedal is all the
way up.  Extending the pedal and/or flipping the rubber bumper will make it
much easier to adjust and allows there to be a little bit of wear and still
work.  Hope this helps.

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89
1963 Spyder 4spd Saginaw, 3.55

>From: "* Greenbrier Goon *" <greenbriergoon@hotmail.com>
>To: corvanatics@corvair.org, virtualvairs@skiblack.com
>Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 23:52:38 +0000
>Subject: <VV> Clutch Problem with 4 Speed Conversion
>
>Hey everyone:
>
>Well, I completed the 4 speed connversion of my 1963 Greenbrier.
>
>I have adjusted the clutch cable as much as possible, but it doesn't seem
>be enough.  When I start the van up I cant' shift it into any gears.  If I
>start it in gear with the pedal pushed down, it creeps foreward.
>
>I don't know it is is the pilot bushing or the clutch that is causing it.
>The pilot bushing seemed a little snug on the NOS input shaft that I used.
>
>PLEASE MAKE SURE TO CLICK "REPLY ALL" BECAUSE I DON'T SEEM TO BE GETTING
ALL