<VV> Sticky Steering

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 08:02:10 -0400

Check the coupler in the steering column.  Mine was loose a tiny bit...
Caused the shaft to move in the coupler.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa cvt.
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of N. Joseph Potts
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 6:51 PM
To: Corvair List
Subject: <VV> Sticky Steering

I've queried the list before on this steering problem with my 66 Corsa
and gotten suggestions, most of which I have checked out (nothing
found). I have
a 	LITTLE more information, so I think I'll try again and see if I
can find
that one or two people who've had THIS problem AND (know how they)
solved it.
     The steering seems to have developed a kind of "hitch" in it near
the center point (not necessarily at any one, particular spot) that's
particularly evident when the car has been sitting, even just for a
refueling. It is NOT evident after I've been driving the car for five
minutes or more continuously.
     All steering components other than the gearbox and the idler arm
are just about new, and the whole system is tight. The steering displays
NO other problems, at speed or slow.
     The whole system is stock except for KYB gas shocks (low pressure)
and 14" x 6" steel wheels running 195/70R14 Dunlop tires. No fast
steering arms, box (over 5 turns lock-to-lock), or anything like that.
     Ideas?
     Thanks.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA