<VV> Another Carb Anomaly

GYoungwolf@aol.com GYoungwolf@aol.com
Wed, 19 May 2004 10:00:34 -0400

I have recently discovered that there are some incorrect accelerator pump discharge needles in some carburetors.  After troubleshooting a customer's carburetor for a "no squirt" problem, I inadvertantly installed a different brass needle and got it to work. I compared the two needles and discovered the original was too long, and so there was no headroom for it to move. The other carb of the pair had the same longer needle. I was able to find 2 other needles in my parts inventory after a cursory look. While this could just be an aftermarket kits parts screw up, it could be worth looking at if you ain't squirtin' like you should.

Additionally, there are some later model secondary carbs that do not have an accelerator pump circuit or hole (secondaries only have one in each carb), and therefore should not have accelerator pump cups installed. If  you use them, you will almost certainly have a bowl gasket leak from overflow when the pump is activated.

And, there are MANY rebuilt carburetors where some companies tried to make a "generic" replacement for LAPS and folks like JCW. These can usually be identified externally by plugged base vent holes (outside and inside the mounting base), and internally by a sealed (with lead) power enrichment circuit. Most I have seen also have a "remanufactured" label on the lower back portion of the bowl. (Most can be converted back if the power enrichement jet is not plugged).

The Carbmeister