<VV> Wheel backset

Brown, Douglas T CIV NAVAIR DEPT douglas.t.brown@navy.mil
Thu, 20 May 2004 10:10:33 -0700

Mark,

You'll get a little more "bump steer" due to the increased offset.  You may be able to counteract that to some extent by increasing the caster to 5-6 degrees for more positive centering.

Toby Brown

~~~~~~~Original Message~~~~~~~
From: "Paula Tilsley" <markt17@fuse.net>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 07:13:45 -0400
Subject: <VV> Wheel backset

Greetings all

I've purchased "new" wheels for my LM.  They are 15 x 6 (Chevy Rally)
and I can get the diameter pretty close to original with lower profile
tires but these wheels have a 3.5" backset rather than the original
wheels which have a 4.25" backset.  Combined with the fact the new
wheels are .5" wide than the stock 13 x 5.5, I'm looking at 1.25" x 2 =
2.5" wider stance.  It looks like the wheels will fit in the wells (I
haven't bought the tires yet) but will the wider stance cause handling
problems.  (I was also considering switching to a fast steering box)?
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark Tilsley
65 corsa turbo vert