<VV> push rod tube seals

Pleau, Dennis E dennis.e.pleau@intel.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 11:48:35 -0600

Soak them in Acetone, if they swell up and start to come a part they are
Viton (does Buna-n swell up also?).  Really Viton is really cheap and if
you don't have time to order them from one of the vendors, look in the
yellow pages under seals and you should be able to find an o-ring
supplier.  Bring one in to match, they are a standard size.  Black can
be Viton, but most Viton is a purplish brown.

Dennis

From: Barneck Doug C TIGTA <Doug.Barneck@tigta.treas.gov>

To: "'virtualvairs@corvair.org'" <virtualvairs@corvair.org>

Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:02:03 -0400

Subject: <VV> push rod tube seals

I am cleaning and sealing an engine for a 64 Monza coupe for my daughter
who

turns 16 in 8 days ( as she keeps reminding me).  I pulled two pushrods
and

the seals are a black material.  I pulled them off the tubes and they
are

still stretchy and didn't break.  It doesn't really look like they have

leaked on one side and the other side is hard to tell as there is oil

residue but unable to tell where it came from.  Any idea if the seals
are

viton or is there a way to tell?  I am inclined not to replace them
because

they are still stretchy like a rubber band and don't crack or break.
What

do the vair-ites think?

Brief history on the car is it was last driven in 1972.  The owner's
wife

was taking the kids to school and the engine died.  They got it running

again but couldn't keep it running.  Parked the car.  I bought it last
year

from owner who had purchased it when it was 6 months old.  Original
engine

is stuck and all of my efforts to unstick it for the last year have been
in

vane.  The car is red with a white interior and red carpet.  Front seat
have

some tears.  The back seat still has the plastic cover over the
upholstery

that was so common back then.  One door has lots of paint chips.  Only
rust

in the whole car is at the end of the trunk lid by the letters.  That
will

get replaced easily.

PS.  I don't know much about the prior history of the engine.  The
clutch

was new and it was a 64 engine in a 62 wagon so it could have had the
seals

replaced...but they are black.  And the engine does run.

And just in case anyone is wondering...  It is red and has been in Group
Red

for a year but I wasn't willing to bring it out of the closet and admit
it.

Does that make me the Western Desert group member?

Doug Barneck

Your Tax Dollars at Work