<VV> 1961 Corvair (a bit long)

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Fri, 21 May 2004 12:56:07 EDT

Hello Thomas,

First of all, welcome to VV and the wonderful world of Corvairs.  This stands
whether or not you buy the subject '61 4-door.  Next, your inquiry.  You did
well to ask this group for suggestions before shelling out your money.

1.  Assuming that the car you are looking at has its original engine, it will
have 2 carbs.  All 61s had dual carb engines.  The 1 carb turbo was
introduced in '62 and the 4 carb 140 was introduced in the '65 model year.  If the car
is 98% restored, I would expect a "correct" engine is in it.

2.  Whenever a car sits for an extended time without being driven there must
be a reason.  It sounds like you are already suspicious.  Good for you.

3.  98% restored????  That shouldn't be subjective but it is.  I have seen
"fully restored" vehicles that needed a whole lot of work and lots of $$$ to be
brought up to a condition that I would consider to be fully restored.
Sometimes the "restoration" work needs to be undone and redone to be proper.  If you
aren't familiar with 60s vintage cars in general and the idiosyncrasies of
Corvairs in particular, I wouldn't pay top dollar for a car that the owner claims
to be 98% restored without having someone who knows these vehicles take a
really close look.

4.  $4000 ?!?!?!?!?!  Wow.  Not for a 1961 4-door.  Not me, anyway.  Perhaps
for a very nice coupe or a '62 or later Spyder or ragtop.  It would appear
that the owner either doesn't know the real value of the car or just hopes that
someone comes along that is out of touch with reality.  Sometimes when people
don't really want to sell, they will ask an outrageous price when approached by
a potential buyer.  They figure that a knowledgeable person will just walk
away without bothering to haggle or the person will buy it and the seller can go
out the next day and buy the equivalent car at a realistic price and put a
couple of grand in his pocket for fun.  Not to cast aspersions on the owner,
perhaps he has had all the work professionally done and is trying to recoup his
expenses along with the original value of the vehicle.  A professional rebuild
on the drive train along with restoration quality body and paint work etc.
adds up real quick.  However, keep in mind that a drive train rebuild costs
pretty much the same on a coupe or a ragtop as it does on a 4-door.  The same thing
holds for body and paint work on a coupe with somewhat more on a ragtop.  At
the end of the restoration, the coupe or ragtop is much more valuable.  I have
found that buying a car from a talented amateur restorer is the best deal
unless you want it as a show car.  Sometimes even then.  These people often see
their own labor as a freebie and only look at the purchase price of the car and
parts when considering the value of the car.  There are many on this list.

Here are my suggestions.  With an asking price of $4000 for the car in
question, I would just walk away.  It is doubtful that the owner will come down to a
reasonable price.  If you are in love with this specific car, get someone who
is knowledgeable about Corvairs to take a look.  I don't know where you are
located but there is probably either a CORSA chapter near you or possibly
someone here on this list who may volunteer to look at the car for you, or other
cars as well.  If you are not in love with this '61, continue looking for a
Corvair that is more reasonably priced and perhaps a more valuable model.  (I
know, some people prefer the looks of the 4-doors but then the cost is still less
in comparison.)  Once I decided to add a Corvair to my collection, I did
research on them and looked around for almost a year before purchasing my '66
Corsa.  The more you look at these cars the better feel you have for their value
and sooner or later you will come across the right car for you at the right
price.

Lastly, Corvairs are addictive.  Once you buy your first one, it is likely
that you will buy another and then another and then, etc.  I did.  The look and
personality of these cars and trucks along with the unique features and design
elements make them hugely undervalued collectibles.  I own more valuable
vehicles but the Corvairs are my favorites.  Lastly, I have found that Corvair
owners as a group are more down to earth, friendly and helpful than other car
collector groups.  Just one man's opinion.  You should enjoy the experience with
the right car.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted,
Doc
'60 Corvette; '61 Corvair Rampside pickup; '64 Corvair Spyder; '65 Corvair
Greenbrier; '66 Corvair Corsa; '67 Nova SS; '68 Camaro ragtop