<VV> RE: Do Gen Pulleys Lose Their Grip?

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Sat, 22 May 2004 00:13:06 -0400 (EDT)

 &gt;&gt; I have a modern (7127) alternator installed on an early with a custombracket. It uses the original generator pulley. The system works fine untilyou put a really, really heavy load on the alternator (AC with condenser fan),then the voltage starts dropping. &gt;Not entirely unexpected. What *is* the rating on your alternator? And howmuch does the voltage drop? It's a 55-amp, I believe.  GM standard on non-power-everything cars in the mid-70s. The voltage starts out at 14 but as a couple of miles roll by under heavy load, it ticks down to less than 12.  Then the engine starts bucking.&gt;&gt;An alternator rebuilder, whom I know and trust, says the unit checks outfine. (I had replaced the diodes, regulator, and brushes introubleshooting.)  He says the belt is probably losing grip.&gt;Do you hear any shrieking or chirping noises? None.&gt;&gt;Any thoughts on what might be done to improve the grip? I have triedtightening the belt, using a "cogged" belt, and loosening the belt, to noavail.&gt;I'd work with a smooth polish on the pulley and use a cut belt... IF thealternator pulley is actually slipping. The standard cut belts will bulgeslightly when pulled around a corner and grip the pulley tighter. A coggedbelt will not. The cut belt on a polished pulley is gonna give you thetightest grip you can expect without excessive belt wear. I'll switch to a smooth, cut belt and see what happens.&gt;I'd also check out the wiring, especially the heavy wire from the alternator to the battery + terminal. If that wire has a less than adequate connection on either end, voltage drops could become evident, along with hot connections.Good advice; thank you. Michael SmithDallas

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com