<VV> 140 head / piston work question

kovacsmj kovacsmj@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 24 May 2004 19:52:23 -0400

I'm rebuilding a 140 pg and there is no rush on this rebuild. There was
a lot of talk recently on VV about quench areas and octane cut pistons.
I have a set of .040 over forged pistons and matching cylinders. What I
am looking for is a very reputable person that I can ship the heads to
for installing fail proof valve seats, perhaps the quench area rework
and octane cutting the pistons. This is not street rod and will be
running A/C eventually. I like to be able to run it on 91 octane fuel. I
will be installed in my '66 4 dr (20 year hibernation) to replace the
current 5 cylinder 140.

I would prefer an off line response as I am not looking for an on line
competition such as ".my person is better because. ..." I have the list
in the back of the CORSA mag, but that tells virtually nothing about
this specialty. What I would like is a recommendation based on personal
experience. If you are responding as the person qualified to help,
that's fine too.

Just as a point of interest on the engine to be rebuilt, #6 had 190 psi
and the rest were 150. The PO had indicated, 25+years ago, that he had
to replace #6 piston due to a problem. Well, upon disassembly I found a
domed piston in #6 and the remains of the oil control rings and a bit of
piston ring in the pan. There was also a damaged cam gear and mating
crank gear due to FOD. The interesting point is that the darn engine ran
quite well as I recollect.

There is too much experience on VV to let it go to waste.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS connecticut