<VV> Correct Engine?

Craig Eagleson cle9@cornell.edu
Tue, 25 May 2004 11:36:11 -0400

Greetings VairFans,

I am a new owner in the beginnings of a restoration project, and need some
info.
I have a 1963 Spyder convertible I acquired last fall.  The first task I am
tackling is to find out what the car is really supposed to have.  I have
the shop manuals, but it they don't tell me as much as I would like to
know.  I have a couple of questions:
1.  Are all Spyders Turbocharged?  And besides, what does turbocharged
mean? (do they all have a compressor?) The manual lists 4 type of engines
for this car (Turbo Air, Super Turbo Air, Turbo Air(PG), and
Turbocharged  - I think that's right)  And they have pretty radically
different timing (24 deg. BTDC to 4 deg. BTDC)  The engine sputters, but
won't quite start.  I would set the timing from scratch, but I don't want
to set it wrong.

Here's the info I have on the car:

Vin:  3 0967 W 113452  ( I have this part figured out)
Style:  09D 63-0967
Trim: 1-781
Acc:  E2CD3C
Body:  WR 2265
Paint:  900-5
Engine: T09I9YR  (Whats the "R"?)
Can anyone tell from the above if the engine has been changed?  It has a
Spyder dash, horn and side emblems, but no flags on the engine cover (hood)
and no turbocharger on the engine, just two single barrel carbs.

TIA for the help

Craig Eagleson
cleagl@yahoo.com
1963 Monza Spyder Convertible